TMJ Treatment IN LAS VEGAS & HENDERSON, NV
ANTHEM PERIO, LAS VEGAS' CHOICE FOR ADVANCED PERIODONTICS
TMJ Treatment is a safe and effective treatment options commonly suggested for patients who have developed issues or have damage to one or both of their temporomandibular joints. TMJ treatment is a broad term that encompasses methods of correcting issues related to the TMJ joints, which include jaw joint paint, a popping, clicking, or rustling sensation along the jaw joint, frequent headaches, tinnitus, lock jaw, and/or pain or discomfort when opening your jaw.
An initial consultation and general examination will be necessary to determine the cause of your TMJ and what TMJ treatment option is right for you. During this visit, we will review your health history, discuss your oral health concerns and goals, and examine your teeth, gums, and cheeks to determine your overall health and identify any underlying issues. Following this examination, we will explain available TMJ treatment options and answer any questions you have.
If it is determined that TMJ surgery is necessary, an X-ray, MRI, or CT scan will likely be performed to determine what surgical treatment approach is the best fit for your case. Patients who have significant TMJ related issues may consider the following surgical TMJ treatment options:
- Arthrocentesis: Fluids are irrigated through the joint using small needles to remove debris and inflammatory byproducts.
- TMJ arthroscopy: Minimally invasive procedure used to determine the cause of TMJ through the insertion of a tiny tube that provides a close view of the jaw joint using a video lens and monitor. If the issue can be identified, the next step will involve removing the inflamed tissue, then rinsing the area, or realigning the jaw joint. Less invasive and fewer risks then open-joint surgery.
- BOTOX/Corticosteroid Injections: Injecting BOTOX or a corticosteroid into the joint has successfully alleviated TMJ symptoms for some patients, though results vary.
- Modified condylotomy: Surgical procedure that increases joint space to alleviate pain associated with TMJ or to correct locking.
- Open-joint surgery: Open-joint surgery may be necessary if none of the previous TMJ treatment approaches are effective. The procedure involves making an incision to expose the jaw joint, after which the disc is replaced, repositioned, or repaired. This can be an effective treatment option, however there are increased risks, which is why it is commonly done as a last resort.
Making minor changes to your daily lifestyle habits may result in significant improvement of your TMJ symptoms. If you are currently suffering from TMJ symptoms and are looking for non-surgical TMJ treatment, consider the following:
- Stretch/Massage: There are several different stretching and massage techniques that have been effective in relieving symptoms and reducing occurrence of TMJ.
- Mindfulness/Relaxation Techniques: Though not clinically proven, there are strong indications that stress is one of the most common underlying causes of TMJ, as evidenced by the occurrence of TMJ in highly-stressful occupations, such as lawyers, doctors, etc. Learning to reduce stress through practicing mindfulness or practicing relaxation techniques can provide a range of health benefits, and may reduce or correct TMJ symptoms.
- Counseling/Education: Counseling and education can help patients learn to identify triggers that cause them stress and learn and implement methods for coping with these triggers.
- Physical therapy: There are several exercises designed to stretch and strengthen your jaw that can help alleviate issues related to TMJ.
- Night Guards/Oral Splints: The most common method of bruxism treatment is using a custom fit night guard. Night guards can be worn while patients sleep, providing a buffer and significant reduction in the amount of abrasion that occurs due to grinding. Although it may not correct bruxism right away, night guards will reduce the damage that occurs, and many patients have experienced significant improvements when wearing night guards over an extended period of time.
- Modified Diet: Avoiding foods that are hard or sticky and following a soft food diet can provide your jaws with a much-needed break and reduce TMJ symptoms.
- Hot/Cold Compresses: Applying a hot or cold compress can reduce swelling and alleviate TMJ symptoms.
Do you Want To
Improve Your Oral Health or Replace Missing Teeth?
Get your questions answered in 3 steps!
Schedule an Appointment
Fill Out New Patient Paperwork
Visit for Your Examination
The following medications may be helpful in alleviating symptoms caused by TMJ:
- Over the counter anti-inflammatories and pain relievers: OTC anti-inflammatories and pain relievers can be effective in temporarily reducing TMJ symptoms, but unless they are taken in conjunction with lifestyle changes, will not typically correct the issue.
- Muscle relaxants: Muscle relaxants may be an effective form of TMJ treatment when TMJ disorder is caused by muscle spasms.
- Tricyclic antidepressants: Results vary from patient to patient, but tricyclic antidepressants have been shown to be effective in treating bruxism and reducing TMJ related pain.
Cost of TMJ Treatment
The cost of TMJ Treatment is contingent on a variety of factors, including the severity of your case, the type of treatment provided, and your dental insurance plan. At Anthem Periodontics and Dental Implants, we are committed to helping you maximize your insurance reimbursement so you can receive optimal care, which is why we will file your claim and handle your paperwork. Please be aware, though, that any remaining balance following coverage is your responsibility to cover. Though not required, we do offer a discount for patients who pay their bill in full (cash, check, or credit) prior to treatment.
Before scheduling your appointment for TMJ Treatment, we will provide an estimated total cost and answer any questions you have concerning payment plan options, such as Care Credit and/or Lending Club, which offer interest-free payment plans for six-to-twelve-month periods.
For your convenience, we accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express.
Schedule Your Appointment
At Anthem Periodontics and Dental Implants, we offer conservative treatment of gum disease and a comprehensive list of procedures, ranging from periodontal maintenance, diagnosis and treatment of oral pathology, dental implants, and/or cosmetic procedures to improve the aesthetic appearance of your smile. Our number one goal is to provide optimal care in a comfortable and relaxed environment. To schedule an appointment for testing and treating TMJ, contact our office at (702) 562-9024.